Latest News


December 18 2015.

Seaford Town Council in partnership with Seaford Tree Wardens are assisting East Sussex County Council in an appeal to the public to raise awareness of Dutch Elm Disease, which has been identified in Sandore Road, Seaford.

Landowners, the public and residents are being asked to help spot the disease and aid Seaford Town Council and East Sussex County Council to protect the remaining elms in the area. There are around 50,000 elms left in East Sussex and this is the largest group of elms in the UK. However, with the spread of Dutch Elm disease, this number could dramatically reduce the population of Elm trees if untreated.

The disease is caused by a fungus carried by the Elm Bark Beetle, or spread through common root systems that join elm trees. The action necessary is the removal, either of infected tree limbs, or the whole tree or trees, and burning the timber close by to prevent beetles from breeding in it.

If you have a dead tree on your property that you know is an elm, or even if you are unsure whether it is an elm or not, get in touch with the local Tree Wardens so it can be dealt with and stop the spread of the disease before more elms need to be felled.

If you have firewood logs delivered and currently have a stack which you believe might contain elm, or even if you are unsure, then you should also get it checked and remember to ask your log supplier if the wood you are buying contains elm.

Seaford Town Council works closely with Tree Wardens, who have been instrumental in increasing the number of trees in Seaford. Pete Tattam, a local Tree Warden, has said he is available for consultation regarding any concerns with treas that the public may have, and any infections found will be reported to East Sussex County Council.

If you, or you know of anyone else, who is concerned over trees that may have Dutch Elm disease, contact Seaford Town Council or call 01323 894870, email or alternatively contact the Dutch Elm Disease Officer directly; Anthony Becvar on 0345 60 80 190 or