MAN CHARGED WITH SEX OFFENCES AT SEAFORD SCHOOL
June 5 2013.
An Eastbourne man has been charged with sex offences against pupils at a now-closed Seaford preparatory school.
Christopher Robin Jarvis, 69, of Dukes Drive, Eastbourne, has been charged with 13 offences of indecency between 1966 and 1977, against seven boys aged between 10 and 14 who were pupils at St Peters Preparatory School in Seaford. He was a teacher there between 1962 and 1982, when the school closed.
Jarvis is due to appear on bail at Brighton Magistrates Court on Thursday 27 June.
The charges, authorised by the Crown Prosecution Service, result from an investigation by Sussex Police specialist child protection detectives after information began to be received by Sussex Police for the first time in late October 2012. Jarvis was arrested on 5 November 2012 and has been on conditional police bail since, until being charged when he answered his police bail on Monday 3 June.
There are no allegations of offending since 1977, and police stress that there is no evidence to suggest that any children have been recently or are currently at risk.
Jarvis is charged with the following offences, all allegedly committed at the school:
- Three charges of indecent assault on a boy between September 1966 and June 1970
- One charge of indecently assaulting another boy between August 1971 and July 1973
- One charges of inciting the same boy, during the same period, to commit an act of gross indecency with other boys
- One charge of inciting another boy, between August 1971 and August 1973, to commit an act of gross indecency
- One charge of inciting the same boy to commit an act of gross indecency with him during the same period
- Two charges of indecently assaulting another boy between August 1971 and July 1974
- One charge of committing an act of gross indecency with the same boy during the same period
- One charge of Indecently assaulting another boy between August 1974 and July 1975
- One charge of gross indecency with another boy between August 1974 and July 1976
- One charge of inciting another boy to commit an act of gross indecency with another boy between October 1975 and October 1977.