ANNE BICKMORE VISITS ROTARY CLUB OF SEAFORD
August 9 2012.
Anne Bickermore, the founder of Anne Bickmore's Children's Fund,(ABC Fund), visited The Rotary Club of Seaford on Wednesday the 8th August, to talk about the charity she founded in 1991.
It all started when Anne was teaching children to swim and found that some of their families did not have enough money to pay for their ASA qualifications. She persuaded some sponsors to help fund the hire of Newhaven Pool, and raised £500. Time passed, and she was raising more and more money, so she decided to start her registered charity.
Now the ABC Fund undertakes many varied activities to relieve poverty, hardship and distress among children, young people and their families or carers, particularly those with disabilities or special needs.
These activities include:
• Colouring booklets for children in hospitals.
• Trauma Teds for injured children.
• Trips out to the seaside, Chessington, Science Museum, X Factor etc. etc. "Do we have to go home?" was the cry from one youngster.
• Eastbourne Theatre Pantomime - Currently she books 394 seats each year! The cast give each child a present at the end of the performance.
• Respite care for parents/carers.
• Christmas hampers. (currently 87 ). for children's families who cannot afford Christmas fare.
All children are referred by Social Services, Chestnut Tree House or other agencies.
For the future, the ABC Fund is an Offficial Partner for the Brighton Marathon.
The Rotary Club of Seaford thanked Anne for an inspirational talk and wished her and the ABC Fund every continuing success.