ADVICE ON FIRE SAFETY FOLLOWING SEAFORD INCIDENT
January 10 2012
Newhaven and Seaford fire crews were sent to an electrical fire in Badgers Copse, Seaford on Sunday morning, 8th January.
They were called out following reports of a fire located in an electrical socket, in the kitchen area. The small fire was already out upon arrival but firefighters were able to offer safety advice at the incident, as well as isolating the electrics at the home.
Electrical Fire Safety Week gets underway later this month and, prior to that awareness campaign, East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service has issued a warning to people not to let electrical failures set their world alight. It has also issued the following advice on avoiding the risk of fire:
- Don't overload plug sockets
- Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Keep appliances clean and in good working order
- Consider using an RCD - Residual Current Device - which works like a circuit breaker to protect against electric shocks and reduces the risk of electrical fires.
Head of Community Safety, Steve Wright, said: "Faulty or misused electrical products have the potential to cause serious fires. However, individuals can take steps to help themselves by checking that the electrical equipment they use every day is in good working order and is operated properly."